How to ignite new passion for life (while purging fear and doubt)
through an epic bike trek.
I work with people who crave more...
who are willing to push the edge,
stretch their limits,
and ignite a fire of discovery
in themselves and everyone around them.
"This trek has been nothing short of spectacular. At the outer level it has allowed me to live like a kid. And at the deeper level I experienced flow."
~ Piyush P., Co-Founder Equinox
"I know that I have been critical in the past but I must say I have been changed on this trek. I have really enjoyed all aspects of the trek including, and perhaps most importantly, the leadership program."
Doug F., Founder & Chief Architect, Zirmed
"The trek has done more for my ability to lead and empower others than any other work I have done."
Hal H., Chief People Officer, Infusionsoft
Visionary leaders inspire action.
They don't plateau, they keep pushing the edge. They don't follow ruts, they blaze trails. History shouts their names:
SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON
You’re good, maybe great. But even the greatest submit to greater challenges. And that’s where we help.
You're willing to defy the norm.
You're not content with a series of team-building exercises or a cushy retreat on some exotic isle. You ache to live raw and rugged.
For 11 gutsy and glorious days you'll crawl across the contours of some foreign land, cycling into the unknown, living out of a tent. You yearn to feel the pounding rhythm of your heart and the surge of triumph on cresting a mountain pass.
And this challenge cracks open lessons of life and leadership others reject.
You already live adventure. Now live the Adventure Mindset.
- Create a soul-stirring vision
- Learn to embrace risk and infinite play
- Fearlessly slice and simplify
- Flow with spiritual and creative energy
- Turn challenges into allies
- Listen "spiritually"
- Live stories that run on tongues of fire and ignite action
Come live the way of the hero.
That doesn’t just happen; you earn it.
G. Layne Gneiting, PhD
- Cycled coast-to-coast across the USA
- Trekked solo from Portugal to Rome
- Cycled 32 countries to date
- Led treks through 18 countries
- Coached as a Dream coach, executive coach, professional storyteller, and seminar leader
- Currently teaches Organizational Leadership and Integrative Studies at Arizona State University.
Why Deep Adventure?
Like Ben Stiller showed us in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, deep adventure unleashes our highest selves.
Thoughts leaders can attest.
"Contrary to what we usually believe...the best moments in our lives, are not the passive, receptive, relaxing times... The best moments usually occur when a person’s body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile.”
~Mihalyi Cskiszentmihalyi, renowned psychologist and author of Flow and Creativity
"To be prepared against surprised is to be trained. To be prepared for surprise is to be educated."
~ James Carse, author of Finite and Infinite Games
"It is in the compelling zest of high adventure that man finds his most supreme joys."
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery, aviation pioneer and author of The Little Prince.
Scale of Adventure
We secretly crave adventure. (Our hearts ache for raw, rugged experiences.) But we're socially conditioned to choose vacations, like settling for the sugary emptiness of cotton candy when our bodies crave salad.
We have two choices. We can keep getting sick on cotton candy or break out of the rut by ascending to the 5th level of adventure.
Level 1: Escape
With escape we “check out” of “normal life” for a snippet of time to recharge our batteries and gear up for our return. EX: vacations, alcohol, drugs, TV.
Level 2: Vicarious
We don’t march down the field, but we live through with those who do. We live vicariously through characters in a book, our children, a football team, celebrities.
Level 3: Thrill/Goal
Marathons. Triathlons. Bungee jumping. Tough Mudder. On and on and on . . . We’re designed to push limits, and some inner compass knows that pushing physically helps us push spiritually and emotionally. And since marathons offer a socially acceptable arena for that fire, we take it. We train. We plan. We run the race. And after? We rest. But the lessons don't always stick.
Level 4: Imposed
Like getting caught in a tornado, or stricken with cancer, we have no choice. Or so we think. When external forces attack we choose to either rant and rave about the injustice, or accept the adventure and move beyond. When we bravely face this ordeal as though we chose it, we live not as victims but owners. That reshapes the experience and elevates us to level 5.
Level 5: Inspired
Our final ring of fire is intense, focused, and hotter than anything we’ve felt. It is the Phoenix of myth, which burns to ash so we can rise renewed. We call this Inspired adventure. It beckons with a strange, almost otherworldly beckoning, but it rocks the world with a simple, defining, change.
We choose it.
It carves a hollow pit of fright in our gut. Yet we choose it anyway.
Like imposed adventure, it rages hot. Like thrills, it pushes to the edge. But unlike either, it doesn’t just harden our bodies or strengthen minds: it awakens our souls. Our spirits soar back to the Divine, and our character is changed forever.
How do we reach the Phoenix and set ourselves on a course of transformation? It begins with listening, and a willingness to risk.
In this program you get equipped with The Adventure Mindset:
This leads to...
- Deep Agility - to discern, follow, and guide the spiritual and creative flow of energy
- Deep Strength - of body, mind, and spirit
- Deep Connection - with your inner voice, the Divine, and the human family
You strip away . . .
- Self-imposed limits
- Pressure and stress
- Compulsion to please others
And you return with . . .
- A transformational experience
- Up to 9 months of personal and group coaching
- Trek guide
- Trek guidebook
- Trek journal
- Trek maps
- Legacy of stories
- Epic adventure
Why? Because you can't just create transformation any more than you can create a seed and command it to grow.
Rather we create the conditions for growth and nourish the seed. We've studied those conditions and narrowed them down to these 5:
- Generative - it requires the creation of novel solutions, expanded boundaries, and new identities. Something has been created through the experience.
- Unpredictable - it throws normal life out of whack. It can’t be fully mapped. You can’t game the system. You can’t fully plan for it. (Here’s where nature plays in.)
- Immersive - it disconnects you from the old world so you can completely engage in the new. Burn the ships. Few safety nets.
- Daring - it involves a risk of failure. It ignites vision, and pushes beyond the boundaries of your comfort zone to explore new territory.
- Enticing - it awakens curiosity, interest, wonder, and desire. Something new draws you to it, like family history, beauty, history, points of interest. Something new, unique.
We wrap all these conditions into epic adventures that include advanced preparation & coaching, a gutsy trek, and post-trek coaching to ensure the transformation sticks.
Croatia & Slovenia
Apr 28-May 8
Spain & Morocco
Dec 30-Jan 9
Other Upcoming Treks - 2020
- Coast to Coast USA
- Lewis & Clark
- Church Heritage
- New Zealand
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.
All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.
I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it!”
― W.H. Murray, mountaineer and author of A Scottish Himalayan Expedition
What do I gain?
- You get a raw, authentic adventure that your friends will envy.
- You get stories that eclipse the norm.
- You get a challenge that will access untapped inner strength.
- You get up to 7 months of personal coaching.
- And you get guidance during the trek that helps you fearlessly pursue new paths.
What does tuition cover?
- Up to 6 months Pre-trek coaching and support
- On-trek guide
- Up to 3 months Post-trek coaching and support
- Pre-trek Guidebook
- On-trek Guidebook
- Epic adventure done right
How long is the journey?
What kind of bike do I need?
Can I rent a bike?
Can I fly my bike?
Where do we sleep?
How do we haul our gear?
What if I'm not a cyclist?
How will we eat?
What if I don’t know the language?
How do I prepare ?
What kind of equipment do I need?
What travel arrangements will I need?
When do I need to get a passport?
How can I justify being gone this long?
What if I'm the slowest person?
What's a typical day like?
What's the average mileage per day?
How do I tell my spouse I want to do this?
Where can I sign up?